What this is all about?

Grameen means "rural" or "village" in Bangla, so literally this translates to 'Stories from the Village.' I travelled to Bangladesh in 2010 and did an Internship with the Grameen Bank and was amazed by the people there especially in its rural villages. The 'desh' and its people are an inspiration and will always have a special place in my heart.

Since then, I continually see how important villages are, be it in rural Bangladesh, or in urban core neighbourhoods in Canada. A strong village is what brings people together and welcomes newcomers and supports those in need. Villages are what I fight for and this blog is how I do it.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Welcome!


Hey,
OK i switched blog sites because here you guys can post comments on my posts!
My name is Michael Clark, I am the Vice President of the Western Microcredit Society at the University of Western Ontario. Throughout the year I have been trying to organise a trip for myself to Bangladesh to visit the Grameen Bank and hopefully encourage some other people to join me! Finally it looks like it is all good to go! Myself, Ross Strike, and Navid and Nadeem Nathoo will all be going in May and June!
Alright so it is only a couple weeks until we leave for Bangladesh! Mine and Ross’ flights are on May 4th arriving in Dhaka on May 5th and we return on June 17th!
I’m all set to go! I got my visa back in the mail from Ottawa, I go get my last shot tomorrow, Flights are booked, hotel is good to go (I think!).
The hotel has given us a discount on rooms:
  • Single bed with AC, TV and a sofa for $12,
  • Double bed with AC, TV, sofa, and FRIDGE for $15, and
  • Double bed, AC, TV, sofa, fridge and INTERNET and a CARPET for $20!!
I think I am going to go with the $20 room, aka the Blossom Single, it will be nice to have internet and not have to worry about paying for the internet in the lobby and waiting to get online if its busy. Plus we will be living there for 44 days! so I want to be comfy enough!
Flights the prices started to go up as I waited longer to buy them, i bought mine at $1,650 ish for there and back. We are flying Etihad Airways connecting through Abu Dhabi. It was the most direct flight, with only one stop over and the quickest travel time.
I will post another update soon about Ross, Navid and Nadeem who are also travelling on the trip with me!
Cheers,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment