What this is all about?

Grameen means "rural" or "village" in Bangla, so literally this translates to 'Stories from the Village.' I travelled to Bangladesh in 2010 and did an Internship with the Grameen Bank and was amazed by the people there especially in its rural villages. The 'desh' and its people are an inspiration and will always have a special place in my heart.

Since then, I continually see how important villages are, be it in rural Bangladesh, or in urban core neighbourhoods in Canada. A strong village is what brings people together and welcomes newcomers and supports those in need. Villages are what I fight for and this blog is how I do it.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

5 Tourist Attractions walking through a old Buddhist Monastery

After visiting the Grameen Hospital we drove to the ruins of an old Buddhist Monastery and walked around. But we quickly realized that we had become the tourist attraction.

Julian and Me with Two Kids 


Dave, Nisha and Julian (in the back) at the Monastery


One of the most awkward moments ever.

A family came up to us asking for a photo so I sat down on the wall next to the daughter and the wife, but then the husband told his wife to get up so it was just me and the daughter. The daughter didn't say anything the whole time, or even really look at me while her dad was taking our picture. 


At the Top of the Wall (Left to right, Me, Ross, Dave, Nisha)

Walking along the wall.

And the surrounding picturesque rice paddies

No comments:

Post a Comment