What this is all about?

Grameen means "rural" or "village" in Bangla, so literally this translates to 'Stories from the Village.' I travelled to Bangladesh in 2010 and did an Internship with the Grameen Bank and was amazed by the people there especially in its rural villages. The 'desh' and its people are an inspiration and will always have a special place in my heart.

Since then, I continually see how important villages are, be it in rural Bangladesh, or in urban core neighbourhoods in Canada. A strong village is what brings people together and welcomes newcomers and supports those in need. Villages are what I fight for and this blog is how I do it.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Website and for a new Project

Hello everyone again,

I am switching websites since I felt that the last website was too specific to my trip, and I want to still use the blog in the future, and especially now that I have a new projected related to poverty, education and international development. So this is the new website: http://storiesfromthegrameen.blogspot.com/ Thanks for continuing to read it!

It has been a couple weeks and I am getting settled back into the pace of North American life once more. However, Bangladesh never seems to be far from my thoughts. One of the best parts of my trip was all the great people that I met while I was there. I met a couple interns that I have become really good friends with, two of them were Dave from Montreal and Melanie from Rochester and going to school in Edinburgh. They called me a week or two after I had left Bangladesh and proposed a very interesting project to me, which I immediately jump on board with them. Since then I have been spending almost every evening after I get back from my summer job, working on it.

Together with our coordinator from the Grameen Bank, Babor Ali, we are going to found a private school in the rural areas around Dhaka, Bangladesh. The goal is to make it financially self sufficient so that after it has been established it does not need any more funding. Them our task will be to replicate it across the country and around the world!

I am going to post a series for stories an explanations of how it will work, and what we are doing and why. But basically we are trying to raise ~$50,000 to found the first school and an endowment fund for scholarships (the school will be charging tuition). It will provide a high quality of education to the rural poor and prepare them for secondary school, university and employment. If you are interested in the project, please send me an email (mc.futbol@gmail.com). I will have a professional email soon, but not yet.

Thank you for reading, shortly I will post a more detailed explanation of the project.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment