What this is all about?

Grameen means "rural" or "village" in Bangla, so literally this translates to 'Stories from the Village.' I travelled to Bangladesh in 2010 and did an Internship with the Grameen Bank and was amazed by the people there especially in its rural villages. The 'desh' and its people are an inspiration and will always have a special place in my heart.

Since then, I continually see how important villages are, be it in rural Bangladesh, or in urban core neighbourhoods in Canada. A strong village is what brings people together and welcomes newcomers and supports those in need. Villages are what I fight for and this blog is how I do it.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Preconceptions

Apparently, I work in the "rough" east end of London. I don't just work there, it is in fact my job to promote the Old East Village! When ever I tell someone from London that I work there, the first thing I get asked is "Isn't that a bad part of town?"

Most of these people are students, often at Western University, who have never even been down to that part of the city. This preconception of the neighbourhood is likely formed by things they hear from their professors, classmates, the media and friends.

I guess I haven't quite been able to figure out how best to respond. All I know is that many of my favourite restaurants, stores and venues are all down there. And there is nowhere better to be on a Saturday morning than at the Western Fair Market. Part of it is what I mentioned in a previous post, it all depends on what you want to look for. If you go there for the unique tea shop or antiques and collectables, then you will certainly find them. But if you go looking for people loitering and vacant buildings then you will also see that. It is all up to you!

In the future ill go with:

"Have you been down there to see for yourself? Because you need to check where you get your information."

Also, check out my instagram picture album, I try and feature some of the neat things in London, many of which are in the Old East Village!

Cheers,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment